Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Control Your Mind

It is written by Brigham Young that the greatest mystery is to control the Human mind. It will unlock the powers of Heaven. If that is so, than I want to know how to control my mind more. In the reading of this section of the book "Drawing upon the powers of Heaven" it is teaching about how if we have a desire we will try and keep it in our mind as often as we can. What we dream is what we can achieve. I have heard that statement over the years but I am not sure I really believed it like I am beginning to now. Mostly I did not understand what it was saying, or how to achieve it.



Joseph Smith said "When a man works by faith he works by mental exertion instead of by physical force." So what does this mental exertion mean? Page 36 "In order to exert yourself mentally you must have power and dominion over your mind. You cannot allow your mind to be easily distracted or to focus on something that is extraneous to the purpose or object of your desired blessing. For instance, when you call upon the Lord for his blessings, do you find yourself thinking about things you need to do, or do other mundane preoccupations pop into your mind? The next time you pray or meditate, see if you have power and control over your mind sufficient to keep it from wandering during your attempt to communicate with the Lord. ....If you allow your mind to dwell randomly on other things... you will be limited in your ability to draw on the power of faith and your mind will not be a source of power for you."



My thoughts have this power to unlock great things, and if concentration on a desire is the first step, than satan's ploy to interrupt our thought by distraction is a great tool of his. To weaken our mind is to weaken our power. I went to a movie the other week and found it to be somewhat boring, mostly because there was no action, fast paced movement of the camera and so forth. I had seen some of those this summer with my children. I know in the past I would have really enjoyed this movie and I could not help think why am I not enjoying this? I think it is because I have become distracted by the experience of the movies I had recently seen. Is it the same with other areas of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment